How are you keeping cool in this heat? I hope you’re drinking water and a ton of it! One of the most refreshing natural drinks I like to make are Agua frescas. Agua frescas are made from natural ingredients and are a healthy alternative if you are trying to cutback on soda and sugary drinks.
Agua de jamaica or hibiscus water — is a drink packed with benefits. Hisbiscus is a plant that is used for medicine, remember food HEALS. For instance, agua de jamaica is an anti-depressant, has Vitamin C, helps improve our cardiovascular health, aids in improving blood circulation, relieves us from hiccups or a sore throat, can help bladder infections or constipation, is good source of antioxidants and much more! Keep in mind, like with anything, there may be side effects.
Did you know that you may find agua de jamaica at your local Mexican restaurant or market, but when you’re on a budget– you can find the flower petals to make your own! The flower petals also may read as sorrel, hibiscus flower or flor de jamaica. I live in a big city, so I can find the petals at any local fruitería and in almost any supermercado I’ve entered but I hope you find it with ease. Now let’s check out this receta!
- 8 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1.5 oz of flor de jamaica/hisbiscus leaves
- cinnamon stick
- dash of nutmeg (optional)
- ginger root
- orange peel (optional, note that using the peel is considered sorrel in Jamaican cuisine, which is made from the same flower, hence the name flor de JAMAICA aha!)
- Add 4 cups of water to a pot
- Add your flor de jamaica/hibiscus leaves
- Add your ginger
- Add a dash of nutmeg
- Add the cinnamon stick
- Bring to a boil for about 3 minutes
- Let it steep off of the eye of the stove for at least 10 minutes. It all depends how concentrated you want the flavor to be, the longer you let it the steep, the more tart it may be.
- Strain into a mixing bowl or large measuring cup
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar and mix thoroughly
- Pour into a jug along with the other 4 cups of water and place in the freezer to chill for 2-3 hours or the fridge for 5+ hours
Typically agua frescas add all of the ice you would want to use rather than pouring in an individual glass. Do as you please of course!
If you make this agua fresca, I’d love to hear how it came out, please share in a comment below.